Mount Abu

A pleasant retreat set amidst the lush forested hills, Mt. Abu is a green oasis in the barren deserts cape that's Rajasthan. Situated at the southern tip of the Aravali range the hill retreat owes its cool climate to its rich flora covering the entire hillside that includes coniferous trees and flowering shrubs. The road leading to Mount Abu is a curved one characterized by arid region dotted with huge rocks in weird shapes and high velocity winds. The only hill station in Rajasthan, Mount Abu is more than just a summer retreat. Its stunning array of exquisite Dilwara Jain Temples, dating back 11th- 13th centuries, make it a popular pilgrimage centre.

Abu according to a legend. stands for the son of Himalayan, deriving its name from Arbuada,the powerful serpent who rescued Nandi, the sacred bull of Lord Shiva, from a chasm.

Mount Abu has been home to many sages and saints. Most famous of them was Sage Vashishtha who is believed to have created four agnikula Rajput clans from a fire-pit by performing ayagna or fire sacrifice, to protect the earth from the demons.

Gaumukh Temple

A natural spring flowing through a sculpted cow is head gives the shrine its name. The famous yagna of sage Vashishtha was performed here. A beautifully sculpted hill temple of Arbuada-the mighty serpent stands against the beautiful backdrop. Nearby is the magnificent marble image of Nandi, the celestial bull rescued by Arbuada.

Delwara Jain Temple

These beautifully carved temples built between 11th and 13th century A.D. are sheer elegance in marble, dedicated to the jain Tirthankaras. The Vimal Vasahi temple is the oldest of these dedicated to the first Tirthankara. Built in 1031 A.D. (by Vimal Shah-a merchant and representative of then Gujarat ruler), it is a superb example of temple architecture. The central shrine has an image of Rishabhdev and large courtyard with 52 small shrines,each housing a beautiful statue of thirthankaras with 48 elegantly carved pillars form the entrance to the courtyard.The Lun Vasahi Temple, dedicated to the 22nd Tirthankaras-Neminath, was built in 1231 A.D. by two brothers-Vastupal and Tejpal,Ministers of Raja Vir Dhawal, a ruler of Gujarat-belonging to the Porwal Jain community. With door casings, pillars,architraves,and sculptures on porticos, the temple is a fine specimen of craftsmanship